It all began with Miss Macky....

In 1914, Miss Macky, a member of Union Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church, began hosting a Sunday School class in her home. Over time, that class grew and eventually became known as The Edwardsville Mission, located at 2501 Goode.

In 1918, the Edwardsville Mission united with Bagnell Chapel MEC and later moved with Bagnell Chapel to a storefront location at 2501 N. Taylor. The Bagnell Chapel congregation voted to change its name to honor American Methodism pioneer Francis Asbury, and the chuch became known as Asbury Methodist Church. (The word "Episcopal" was removed by the denomination in 1939.)

Two years later, the church purchased the property at 4001 Maffitt, which had formerly been the home of Epworth Methodist Church. To celebrate its new home, the congregation marched from its old location on Taylor to the new building on Maffitt.

Finally, in 1968 the Methodist Church merged with the Evangelical United Brethren Church to form the United Methodist Church, and "the little church on the corner" officially became known as Asbury United Methodist Church.

Asbury UMC celebrated its 100th Anniversary with a special brunch on Saturday, November 13, 2014, and worship the following day with messages from our District Superintendent and our Conference Bishop. Here's to another 100 years of sharing the Gospel of Christ!​


Find out where you fit in!